Walking, cycling and accessibility in the North Devon Coast AONB
We have a fantastic range of Cultural Trails which are printable walk guides with lots of great local information on where to go, what to spot or see on your way.... not to mention where to stop for refreshments! We also have easy access routes highlighted and lots of cycle information - just follow the links!
Additionally, there's a great wide range of walking and cycling opportunitites from both the AONB and other sources are also provided via the interactive map. Easy to use: Click on the walking layer of the map and see all the walks and cycle routes mapped out to choose from. Each area and route has photos of the area and wildlife and information on the area and what to see ....
Please adjust your browser to ensure maximum web accessibility for this site. There is also a slider to adjust font size at the top left of each webpage.
Out in the landscape, our Easy Access Trails are a selection of walks to help you explore the North Devon Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. These walking routes have been specially selected to ensure everyone can experience the delights of the North Devon Landscape.
Easy Access walks are available to download via the Resources section to the right of this page, together with External Links sites such as Phototrails and Accessible Countryside for All. Please let us know if you have ideas for further useful links we should include on this page.
In November 2010 Living Options prepared a report on existing access information in the AONB. Please see a link to this document in External Links. Some useful information from this report includes:
- Saunton Beach Shop provides all-terrain wheelchairs available to hire.
- Croyde, Lee Bay, Putsborough Sands and Watermouth Bay are also identified on a number of websites as providing wheelchair access, although specific details are limited. Click here for beach accessibility information from the Accessible Countryside for Everyone website.
- Accessible walks identified by the South West Coast Path can be found at Westward Ho!, Baggy Point and the Abbotsham and Westward Ho! circular walk. Devon County Council has also identified the following paths within the AONB as accessible: Baggy Point, Braunton Burrows, Lee Bay, Northam Burrows County Park, Westward Ho!
- Easy access toilets can be found at Northam Burrows Country Park. However please be aware of seasonal opening times.
- The Combe Walks website gives details of walks in the Northern devon area believed to be suitable for wheelchair users and buggies including: Westward Ho!, Woolacombe and Ilfracombe Harbour. Please note there is a small charge for these walks.
- Click here for the National Trust Access Guide for the South West including sites in the AONB.
- Devon County Council also provide an interactive map of the county with details of stiles, gates and gradients to help people plan their own routes. However, please note the map does not necessarily provide all the information that some people may need. For example, description of the path surfaces and detail about whether the parking is accessible.
Please note - Every effort has been made to keep the information on this site up-to-date and resources were correct at the time of production. However, the countryside access, communities and businesses are subject to continual change. Unfortunately we cannot guaranantee complete accuracy for details provided on this site at all times. Please do inform us if you spot any amendments, improvements or additions we could make on this page.